Every year our Stake President holds a fireside for the sisters in our stake. A couple of months before hand a box will show up in the Relief Society rooms to collect ANY questions that the sisters may have. The question can be about anything, personal, doctrinal or even non-church related. The Stake Relief Society Presidency then categorizes the questions and our Stake President researches and takes notes and at the fireside he goes through and reads and answers every question. I just LOVE and look forward to this fireside every year.
In years past a lot of the questions have been regarding intimacy, but not so much this year. This year there were questions regarding calling, and modesty, the word of wisdom, and other topics. Some of the things that stood out to me the most are
- We should be going to the temple and participating in ALL of the ordinances offered there. We shouldn’t just go and think we are limited to just doing endowment sessions.
- “I just can’t do it all”-I’m not expected to do it all.
- “A mother is only as happy as her saddest child”
- I must have a regular accounting with my husband, and counsel with him often. “Communication is everything” President Draper kept coming back to counseling with our husbands over and over again. We must sit and look our husbands in the eyes and counsel with them.
- In the relationship with my husband there should be three intimacies. Spiritual intimacy, such as going to the temple together, studying scriptures together, praying together….Emotional intimacy (we need to like being together, we need to be able to communicate our deepest thoughts and feelings….) and physical intimacy. If the spiritual and emotional intimacies are strong, physical intimacy will take care of itself.
I have lots to work on over the course of the next year, and I look forward to next years fireside.